Saturday, April 30, 2005

Myriad thoughts

This April has been an idyllic time. There have been days that seemed like deep summer followed by days chilly with snow. This wacky weather has made me use each day as if it were the last. I have therefore enjoyed each moment more fully than normal. Carpe Diem!
Sam has made his decision to stop teaching year after next (07). I am much relieved, since by that time he'll be 84. I know he will push through to the end, even if he's in a wheelchair.
GT has finals this next week. Next term she has a repeat of her Public Health classes so things will be familiar, maybe easier. She said that today was a beautiful day there, but she's camped out at the library to study for her finals. I keep the Instant Messenger online so she and I can say hello in passing.
Sam is growing a beard to use at his Summer College skit. He'll come on stage in a cape, hat, bearded and with his grown-out eyebrows, skulking around in a cloud of dry Ice smoke. He's billed as "The spy who loves us". The next day he'll show up clean shaven and trimmed, in street clothes. Hopefully this will demonstrate something about disguises. Joe and Mac are donating their speaking time to help boost the attendance.
The audience will have to work on an intelligence problem over the Saturday afternoon and brief it back during supper. Knowing the usual attendees they'll have a good time with the problem.
I'm boosting my stamina by staying out in the garden and bees for longer periods. I even have a bottomless bucket with a seat on it so I don't come inside and get trapped!
The seedlings in the greenhouse are coming up fast. I'm going to have to fill those beds myself if RB doesn't come soon! Spring is moving into summer!
CC hasn't come by for a while, and I miss his smile and chatter about his cars and mechanics. He is mechanically minded and will make a good engineer. I think in his later years he'll come back to the farm, though. His Grandfather trained him up right.
My bee buddy has a huge swarm up a really high tree and wants to hive it. His brother has a bucket truck for powerline work, but won't help him get the swarm. They go back and forth. I'm hoping the brother gives in... but, you know families!
The houses in Florida that flooded and have been rebuilt flooded again. Seems like the land has subsided and the neighbors have built up to the point that all the water drains through my property. I've hired a landscaper with earth moving machinery to work out a solution and written the neighbors to get them to solve their problems on their own land. A sticky wicket. The neighbors are touchy, and not pleasant to talk to.

No comments: