Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Wall Street Journal Katrina Info

Blame Amid the Tragedy

By BOB WILLIAMS
September 6, 2005; Page A28

As the devastation of Hurricane Katrina continues to shock and sadden the nation, the question on many lips is, Who is to blame for the inadequate response?

As a former state legislator who represented the legislative district most impacted by the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980, I can fully understand and empathize with the people and public officials over the loss of life and property.

Many in the media are turning their eyes toward the federal government, rather than considering the culpability of city and state officials. I am fully aware of the challenges of having a quick and responsive emergency response to a major disaster. And there is definitely a time for accountability; but what isn't fair is to dump on the federal officials and avoid those most responsible -- local and state officials who failed to do their job as the first responders. The plain fact is, lives were needlessly lost in New Orleans due to the failure of Louisiana's governor, Kathleen Blanco, and the city's mayor, Ray Nagin.

The primary responsibility for dealing with emergencies does not belong to the federal government. It belongs to local and state officials who are charged by law with the management of the crucial first response to disasters. First response should be carried out by local and state emergency personnel under the supervision of the state governor and his/her emergency operations center.

See the Wall Street Journal Online for the rest of the article

2 comments:

Monnie said...

Hi Susi,

You posted a comment on my blog for more pictures... wondered if you liked the picture of the Mums or just all the photos. Thanks for showing an interest! :)

Monica

Monnie said...

Hi Susi,

Well, I've only had the camera since my birthday 5 weeks ago but would you believe - in that amount of time - I've managed to take close to 1700 pictures?! Granted, 830 of those were during a week's trip to Texas! ;) But you're right - I've got lots more. I just try to post the best ones. :)

I've got more pictures - sorta every day ones - on my blog http://mamothca.blogspot.com if you wanna check those out. :) That's more just my online journal, as opposed to my online photo album.

I hope to keep updating my Pixies blog every day or two though. :D

Monnie